SARASOTA – MANATEE – CHARLOTTE AREA SUPPORT BY CANCER TYPE:
(call to verify times and dates)
MMHS= Manatee Memorial Hospital Programs
SMH = Sarasota Memorial Cancer Institute Thrive Programs
- Multiple Myeloma Support Group (SMH): Meets 4th Friday 11:00 -1:00 at SMH HealthFit, 5880 Rand Blvd. (off Clark Road), Sarasota, FL. Call 941-917-7827.
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society -in Florida call 813-261-3170. Closest group meets 3rd Wednesday from 4:00 to 5:30 at Florida Cancer Specialists, 8260 Gladiolus Dr., Fort Myers, FL 33908
- CLL Group at Moffitt Cancer Center – moving to Sarasota.
- Woman to Woman (SMH): Meets 3rd Wednesday from 4:30 to 6:00pm at 1921 Waldemere St., Sarasota, FL, Jacaranda Room (2nd floor). Call Veronica Martinez, Breast Navigator (941) 917-3377
- Venice Breast Cancer Networking (SMH): Meets 3rd Tuesday from 2:00 to 3:00 at Elite Medical Wellness Center, 4125 So. Tamiami Trail, Suite 2, Venice, FL 34293 (41 & Jacaranda). Call Dawn Moore (941)-408-9572 or Alice Hicks 941-917-7827.
- Bradenton Breast Cancer Support (MMHS): Meetings will be held on the second Thursday of the month from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. in the Outpatient Services Center Lobby, 250 Second St. E., next to Manatee Memorial Hospital. Call Jenny Brown, RN, BSN, OCN, Breast Navigator at (941) 745-6997
- North Port Lung Cancer Support Group meets 3rd Wednesday of every month from 2:00 PM – 3:00PM at the Sarasota Memorial ER, 2345 Bobcat Village Center Rd, North Port, FL 34288. Contact Marc Cohen at (941) 240-8989 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarasota Manatee Ostomy Support Group: Meets at 2pm on the 3rd Sunday of the month at Doctors Hospital of Sarasota Auditorium 5731 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota, FL 34233. Call Betty Burris at 941-580-6259 or visit www.sarateeostomy.org.
- Charlotte County Ostomy Support Group meets on the 2nd Tuesday at 2:00 in Port Charlotte. Call Jerry Downs at 941-629-7568.
- Men to Men (SMH): Meets monthly on 3rd Monday at Sarasota Memorial Health Connections on 1st floor of main hospital, 1700 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota. Contact Ed Weinsberg 941-444-9790 or David Morse 941-356-0754. Men with any cancer diagnosis are welcome.
- Us Too: meets monthly on the 3rd Thursday at 6:00pm at Doctors Hospital, 1st floor. Call Steve Gordon 941-374-0990
- Charlotte Prostate Support Group meets on the 3rd Friday from 1:00 to 3:00 at the Fawcett Hospital H2U facility in Port Charlotte. Call Ed Badenall 941-276-5198
- The Sarasota-Manatee ThyCa group meets on the 2nd Saturday from 10:00 to 11:30 at the Acura Dealership, 4891 Clark Rd., Sarasota. Park in the rear and enter the East side door.
Contact Lisa Torres at email@example.com. www.thyca.org/sg/fl_manasota/
WOMEN ONLY Group (any cancer):
- “Celebrate Life” meets at 10:00 on 1st Wednesday at the PGI Civic Association in Punta Gorda, FL. For info, call Diane 941-575-7746
ALL CANCERS SUPPORT GROUPS:
Blake Medical Center: Caring Friends Support Group – For cancer patients, families, and friends coping with cancer and treatment. The group meets every Wednesday at Blake Medical Center in the Dolphin/Pelican Room from 5:30-6:30 pm. For information, call (941) 798-6572.
Florida Home Health: Cancer Care Support Group – Free dinner and guest speakers. Monthly on 1st Thursday from 4:00pm -6:00pm at IMG Academies Golf and Country Club, 4350 El Conquistador Pkwy, Bradenton, FL 34210. Call JoJo Smith to register (941) 920-5084
North Sarasota Group (SMH): Meets on the 2nd Tuesday from 6:00 to 7:30pm at the North Sarasota Library 2801 Newtown Blvd., Sarasota, FL 34234. Light dinner provided and “Ask Dr. Lisa” session with Lisa Merritt, MD. Call 941-917-7827.
Sarasota Memorial Oncology Network and Education Group (SMH): Meets at the Rehab Pavilion, Arlington St. side of main campus, 1700 Tamiami Trail, Sarasota from 2:30 to 3:30 on 3rd Wednesdays.
Sarasota Memorial Oncology Support Group (SMH): Meets every Thursday from 2:00 to 3:00in the Rehab Pavilion, Arlington St. side of main campus. Call 941-917-7827 to RSVP
Sarasota Memorial Caregiver Support Group (SMH): Meets every Thursday from 1:00 to 2:00 in the 4D classroom, Main Building, 1700 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota. Call 941-917-7827 to RSVP
Veterans/Sarasota VA Community Clinic: Weekly support group for all Veterans on Mondays from 12:30 to 2:00 at 5682 Bee Ridge Road, 2nd floor Conference Room. Call Jennifer Feeney, LCSW at 941-371-3349 – ext. 22952
Venice Cancer Support Group (SMH): Meets Mondays from 10:00 to 11:30 at Jacaranda Trace, Cadbury Commons Building, 2nd floor Enrichment Center, 3600 William Penn Way, Venice, FL 34293. Call 941-917-7827to RSVP.
Spanish – Grupo de Apoyo – Support Group (SMH): Meets monthly on 4th Wednesday 2:30-5:00 p.m. at the Sarasota Memorial North Port ER & Care Center, 2345 Bobcat Village Center Road (off Toledo Blade), North Port, FL. Facilitator: Brenda Gonzalez, LCSW. Email: BrendaGonzalez.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 941-917-7827
Fawcett Memorial Hospital Cancer Support Group – meets on the last Wednesday of every month from noon to 1:30 at H2U in the Promenades Mall at 3280 Tamiami Trail, #493, Port Charlotte. Cancer patients and family or friends are encouraged to attend. Lunch is provided, RSVP required. Contact Patient Navigator Diana Donnelly at 941-624-8318.
Desoto Memorial Hospital – Cancer Support Group meets every Tuesday from 2:00 to 3:00 at Twin Rivers Pathways, Central Park, 4161 Tamiami Trail, #302, Port Charlotte. Call Jessica Nickola, LCSW 941-766-0171
First United Methodist Church offers a faith-based support group on the 1st Wednesday at 6:30pm in Punta Gorda, FL. Call Jane or Brian Sheppard 941-575-4647.
Courage Over Cancer at Gulf Cove United Methodist Church 1100 McCall Road, Port Charlotte offers support and ministry to men, women, and families who are affected by cancer. Contact the church at 941-697-1747 or GulfCoveUMC@centurylink.net for program information.
American Cancer Society – 800-227-2345 or www.cancer.org Resource Room with wigs and more at 2970 University Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34243. Information, ride and lodging assistance, Reach to Recovery local breast cancer peer support and a 24/7 support line.
Sarasota Memorial Cancer Information Office at 1700 S. Tamiami Trail, 1st floor or call 941-917-1981 to learn about upcoming screenings, education events or for help researching the latest in cancer care.
Team Tony Cancer Foundation www.TeamTony.org – Find local one-on-one peer support for all cancers. Visit the new “Cancer Connection Center” at 3562 S. Osprey Avenue, Suite C, Sarasota, FL 34239. Call 1-941-227-4404.